The Distance Between
Moving… I still till this day, despise the word. I spent the majority of my life moving from
one state to another. I attended a variety of elementary, middle, and high
schools. My father was the Vice President of Sizzler Steakhouse, and his job
required us to move frequently. Moving meant traveling from one side of the
United States to the complete opposite side. Moving meant packing, making new
friends, and losing old friends. In addition, my father spent long work hours away
from home for meetings which required traveling. This led to my mother becoming
an “at home mom,” she stayed home to take care of my brother and I. My father
was born in Michigan, and my mother was born in Ohio. They eventually met each
other in Ohio, while working at a Sizzler Steakhouse. After they got married,
they moved a few more times. Eventually, I was born in Texas, and my brother
was born in Florida. Since my father was always working, my mother often drove
us to Ohio to visit her side of the family. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, and
cousins all reside there. My father isn’t as close to his family as my mother,
so I rarely got to visit his side of the family.
It was a big adjustment for me, trying to adapt with living so far
away from my family. The distance between each other was typically at least 10
hours away. It didn’t take me long to realize how significant a family truly
is. The moments that we do spend together, I will always forever cherish. A
family bond is something that I believe people take for granted. Individuals,
who live close to their family, typically don’t realize the disadvantages of
family members residing in a different state. Through the years and distance, I
have still managed to develop a strong bond with my northern family. It’s very disappointing,
because I don’t get to visit them as often as I would like too. Between work,
school, and limited vacation time, it makes it difficult to visit. I am
fortunate to see them once a year though, usually around Thanksgiving.
My family and I eventually ended up moving to Georgia. Residing in
Georgia is the longest time I have ever lived in a state. My parents eventually
divorced, and Georgia was officially my new home state. My mother obtained
custody of my brother and I, and I lived with her until I graduated. It didn’t
take long after I graduated that; my mother decided that she wanted to move
back north. She wanted to be around my grandparents. They weren’t getting any
younger, and my mother was concerned about their health. Another advantage for
my mother is that, she would be around her three sisters and one brother. So here I am, in Georgia, with my mother and
the rest of my family in Ohio. My brother does live with me, and my father isn’t
too far away either. I miss my mother
dearly, there’s nothing like a mother and daughter relationship. It’s a bond
that can never be broken or understood. Although the distance keeps us separated, I
fill my mother in on the details of my life, every moment I can. I wait for the
day for her to return to Georgia, but I understand her reasoning for living in
Ohio.
On a positive note, although my biological family is miles away, I
have another family. I have developed this family over several years. This
family consists of great friends. My close friends each have their own unique
personality, and I am so proud to call them my friends. My friends support and
love me unconditionally, which is obviously one of the reasons why I consider
them a part of my family. Although I will always miss my family, these friends
make the burden a little easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment